2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

First season Colorado

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  LIONESS-270 
#1 ·
I was invited to hunt the first season for Elk south of Craig Colorado. I have shot cows but never a bull Elk. The hunt was a success and I shot a bull on Sunday Afternoon. I was using a 338 win mag and 225 grain bullets. Followed this Elk for over a mile and a half up the mountian and down the other side. Dressed for sitting and waiting for the Elk to walk down a trail as it was rainy and had been sleeting. When they showed up they went the opposite direction and the chase was on. We had laughed about changing our luck and you can see that I had on some 1st generation camo. Glad it came together, my hunting pardner got his Elk also.

I do not post very much but love this site and all of the post. This site is a treat to visit and when I get the chance the wife and I will do a event to meet every one.

Thanks Mont and all who contribute to what I think is the best site around.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
What a bull!!!! Excellent size, age etal, even for Co. I've seen a lot of bulls up there and you have to go through a lot of them to get to one like that!! Hat's off and congratulations. Looks like in that last pic you are thinking, "Well, I got him down, now how am I going to get him out of here.!" BTW, I love that area between Steamboat and Craig, awesome for elk and mulies. Any talk up there about CWD? If you are ever up there around the 4th of July they have a wild game cookoff in Craig. Lots of bear, antelope and stuff to eat.

#8 ·
activescrape said:
That should get you pumping, when are you headed up. He was only about 50 miles from where you are going, as the raven flies.
I hope no one thinks im jacking RG's thread...

Activescrape...We are headed out this Friday morning,Right now im sittting here at my desk suffering through my last two graveyards ,and i do mean suffering LOL.He was very close to where we will be.I cant wait.Ive been wanting to do this for about 20 years...........Wish me luck....

Again...congrats RG on your awesome elk hunt...

#17 ·
Really a nice bull. OK all yall big gun advocates. He shoots an elk with a 338 and he has to run him down up and down a mountain. See big guns dont always knock em down. Not being critical at all just making a point. I have never seen an animal like the elk. They can take some real muzzle energy and never blink. Make you think you missed.

Charlie

#18 ·
CHARLIE said:
Really a nice bull. OK all yall big gun advocates. He shoots an elk with a 338 and he has to run him down up and down a mountain. See big guns dont always knock em down. Not being critical at all just making a point. I have never seen an animal like the elk. They can take some real muzzle energy and never blink. Make you think you missed.

Charlie
The way I read it, he basically stalked it, then dropped it with 1 shot.

Funny how we can read the same story and deduct different things.

#26 ·
I had a shot just after seeing this bull and missed I then followed the bull up and down the mountian and caught it in the open. Missed again with first shot as I was out of wind. The bull stood and gave me a second chance and I setteled down, took the shot and connected. The bull then turned and started to his right and I shot again and that is where he went down. The first shot was around 350 yards and the the last a 374 with a range finder. I was using shooting sticks and have shot that rifle since the mid 80s and am comfortable with it. I do not advocate shooting those distances unless you know your skill level and the weapon. The reason for using the 338 is you have that long range option.

PS I also like small and fast... RG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.