2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

stalking

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Aggiedan 
#1 ·
what do you think is a good way to stalk whitetail, axis and other south texas animals

#3 ·
Here's an article I wrote about a stalk/still hunt I did a couple of years ago on a ranch near Lampassas. I talk about the techniques I used as I tell the story of the hunt. I didn't have any high quality pics of the buck I harvested, so they just added one of a really nice deer.

The article is on page 7 if it doesn't load up automatically to that page.

"The Cedar Breaks Buck"

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.maximumoutdoors.com/issues/COA201006.pdf

#4 ·
I killed a red deer cow two weeks ago after spotting it from the truck and stalking within bow range. I kept a pump jack, 55 gallon drum, and a few small tree trunks between her and I as I approached. I got to within 35-40 yards before taking my shot. This is the first time I've done it and it was an extra thrill. So I say that still hunting and using obsticles to your advantage are two great ideas.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the direction of the wind is key. If your scent is blowing in the direction you're walking you likely won't see anything but white flags.

T

#5 ·
Best way to stalk? Stay quiet and hide behind stuff. ;) Pay attention to which direction the wind is blowing also.

I stalked a turkey during spring season, saw him in full strut about 800 yards away and grabbed my shotgun and walked through the brush. I popped out about 80 yards away for a peak and kept a big cedar tree between me the gobbler and hens, snuck all the way up behind the tree and he decided to come walking around it. He busted me at about 2 yards right before his head popped out into the clear and took off running, problem for him is that he ran straight away from me and I'm pretty good with a scatter gun so had plenty of time to let him get to around 20 yards (for a good pellet pattern out of my turkey choke) and let him have it in the back of the head.

#7 ·
I enjoy being able to move when I hunt, but around here it's so thick you can't see far enough off to be able to stalk deer. But hogs are usually noisy enough that you can hear them from some distance, so I really enjoy hunting them. Listen for the squealing, figure their direction of travel, circle to get the wind in your favor, and move in slow to cut off their line of travel. You can get away with some movement on hogs as long as you stay super quiet and keep the wind in your favor. Just don't lose track of the biggest pig in the group once the shooting starts! :D

#9 ·
I used to do all spot and stalk in the desert in AZ. Bring good binoculars so you can see game from as far away as possible. Once you find them plan your stalk to keep the wind right. Move slow and stop often. The only thing that walks steady is a person. All animals move a little, stop a little, move a little, etc. Obviously, scent control is important.

I used to walk 5 to 10 steps then look around with the binocs before moving again. It takes time but you can move up on deer that hear you if you do it right. I also bought some felt oversoles for my boots called bear's feet. They slip on over your normal hunting shoes and they muffle sound. They are good for at least another 10 yards (big deal when bow hunting). Try to walk on the front part of your feet as much as possible. Animals make one crunch when they walk. People make two. Once you get close the game is going to hear you so you want to sound as natural as possible.

If you do happen to catch game on the move, try to get in front and then wait for them to go by. When life worked just right I was able to run down a parrallel wash and cut back in front with some kind of cover between me and the deer to help get a better shot.

This is my favorite way to hunt. I've walked up on deer, big horn and elk out west and got half my deer in MO while doing spot and stalks. I've walked up on some pigs in the lease I got on near Angleton this year but most of the area is pretty muddy and its been hot so I haven't gone after deer yet.

If you do try this during gun season make sure you know where everyone else is and that they know where you're going to be. You're going to be shooting level so the round will go a long ways.

Good luck.

Gary

#10 ·
Stalking Nilgai

I have hunted Nilgai on the King Ranch by stalking. Our guide was their wildlife biologist several years ago. Once in an area that held Nilgai 3 of us walked in a group right behind each other. Biologist said the nilgai are accustomed to cattle walking in this manner. We both shot Nilgai that way and it is a heck of a lot more fun than driving around getting beatup on the high rack.

There is a guide on the king ranch named Gus that loves to stalk the Nilgai. He will videotape the stalk. Its a HOOT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.