2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

help me find a pig shotgun

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  wschorp 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I have an 870 express just like you described. I shot Police competition with it years ago, and we shot 9pellet 00 buck at 15 and 25 yards. At 25 yards all 9 pellets would pattern within a man sized target. For a riot type shotgun I've used an 870 for 35 years. I agree with huntinguy, smaller shot is best in the house #4's, 2 3/4" 12ga.

#6 ·
For shooting pigs,Mossberg 835 ulti-mag,it shoots the 3 1/2" mags and my round of choice would be 00 buck.Ive killed pigs to 40-50 yards, out in the marsh with no problems.Defintely a hog stopper......Im sure it would work on any unlucky "intruder" also......lol

#16 ·
870 all the way. Unbelievable number of different bbls available, and it always works.

BTW 12 ga is actually .729 caliber. So if you shoot rifled slugs they will be that caliber. If you shoot saboted slugs they will vary. Remington's saboted slug is .58 caliber. It varies by manufacturer depending upon the thickness of their particular sabot.

THE JAMMER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.