2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Curado repair

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Red Killer 
#1 ·
I have a 5 bearing curado cu-200 greenie. My problem is the variable brake system on the left will not come off, I keep turning it to the left and it will not pop off like another one I have. Also if i tighten it all the way to the right it will not reel in at all. For it to work i have to loosen it to the point where the plastic cover on the left side of the reel is loose and can be moved around. Do I need to take it in for repair or am I just missing something?

thanks in advance

#2 ·
spray it down in grooves with wd 40 and work dial backwards and forward, spraying with the wd40 and see if it won't go ahead and turn loose. I f not soak that side of reel in warm water/ whit e vinegar 50/50 mix . sounds like it has some corrosion on part of the internal threads
good luck

#4 ·
Side Plate Removal

There have been several threads on this in the past. The mating threads are both plastic I believe so it's not corrosion but debris (salt, sand, oil, fish slime, etc.) that won't let you turn the lift tab. I would do what Trout recommended (soak in a warm water bath with ...) but when you go to try to turn the tab I would use a large crescent wrench to hold it and gentle nudge it, maybe even trying some light taps. I see a lot of the older reels with the side tab broken off so be careful. Good luck.

#6 ·
ok, i soaked it in some wd40 and gave it a try but no dice, I tightened and loosened repeatedly to get the oil in the threads, while doing this i noticed the spool was going with it, so when it was tightened all the the way i held the spool tight with my fingers to the right side of the reel and loosened the brake system at the same time and it popped off. I oiled the reel up and everything is working great now. Only thing is after it was cleaned I tried removing the brake system and it didnt come off, so i had to repeat holding the spool at the same time and it popped off again. I guess I will just have to do that from now on to get it off.

#7 ·
did you remove the bearing out of the side piece, if spool is sticking in it you probably have a corrosion issue with that bearing, check and clean bearing and polish shaft on that end of spool.

good luck

#8 ·
No I didn't take the bearing out of the side piece, that side wasn't that dirty so I just cleaned what I could see and put some oil on that bearing. I will try to take it out and clean it to see if it makes a difference... the shaft from the spool looks good as far as I can tell

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.