2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How to get rid of crayfish/crawfish in yard

17K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Blue Water Ho 
#1 ·
I know they are there because of the water level in our backyard. If I dig up one of the holes - I get a lot of water 6" or more down. I've tried putting mothballs in their holes - but they just move to another hole. My back yard is not that big - maybe ~100' x 40' give or take and there are probably 2-3 dozen mounds. It's definitely crawfish, as my son and I have dug some of them up. The odd thing is that there isn't a creek or anything near by - a ditch that only has water after a heave rain is maybe 200-300' away. I was think about buying some 12" plastic or metal edging and installing it 8" in the ground around the yard. But, how do I kill the ones there now? I've mixed up seven and poured down the holes but that didnt seem to help. I don't really want to dig them up - as I usually don't find them - even after digging 2' deep and don't want to tear the yard up any more.

#6 ·
put a piece of bacon on a string. drop it down the hole and give him a minute to grab it. slowly pull up on the string. just like crabbing.

if your son is young enough it will keep him occupied for hours and teach patience. i put in several hours messing with them when i was a kid.

if you want a quick fix just pour an ounce of bleach down the hole.

#15 ·
LOL...funny Shadman....

I think this same thread happened about 6 mos ago. I think the first answer back then, was invite your local ******* over!

I like the bacon trick too. I spent a lot of time mining crawdads with bacon when I was younger. What fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.