How to store your pre-made leaders??? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
God is great, beer is good...

Pathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to PiratePathfinder has been promoted to Pirate
How to store your pre-made leaders???

I'm looking for suggestions on storing my pre-made leaders. I use about 18" of 20lb. flourocarbon with a small 50lb SPRO swivel on one end and a 5/0 kahle hook on the other. I usually store them in a ziploc, but this makes for a tangled mess. I try to keep about 8 made up on the boat. What do you guys do?Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Fat boy fresh

Slim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to PirateSlim-N-None has been promoted to Pirate
i read in a magazine (saltwater sportsman) that a hollow pool noodle with a cut down one side made a really good leader storage device, also if you have the hard wire ones you can use the solid noodles and just push the wire in. I've never tried it, but i don't see why it wouldn't work. I think if i used the hollow noodle, i would cut it about 5-10" longer then i would use, and run me a zip tie around each end to "seal it" then run a piece of velcro around the middle to keep it closed (guess you could describe it as a taco with a slit down the middle). to top it off if you drop it it'll float and it's easy to store. plus with summer running out they should be goin on sale. one other thing, if you do do it, I would put all the hooks at one end and mark it on the outside so you know which end you can reach in to and not get stuck.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM

mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)mako17 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
We use a CD case and put one leader in each CD slot. Coil the leader and use a tie-wrap to keep it looped.

I would imagine the ziplock bag cases for soft plastic baits would work even better since they will keep it dry.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jim-Bo has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I bought a gross of 2"x2" plastic bags at a grocery supply for a couple of bucks.
this works well. I make the leader & put in baggie - Keep a bunch in my tackle box. I have enough bags for life!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
Leaders??? Why?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 AM
NRA Life/Endowment Member 45yrs.

Oceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to PirateOceola has been promoted to Pirate
Leaders, why? Well for me I don't feel like tying knots in the dark or when bouncing around in the surf. I just keep my plain 18" leaders, made up with a very small 40# bbl swivel on one end and a norton quick clip on the other end, in zip lock bags.
My snelled hook flounder rigs are a different story. I make up the rig with 1/0 through 3/0 VMC Flounder hooks with the down turned eye, and 18" 10# or 20# fluorocarbon leaders snelled to the hook (It's easy once you get the hang of it) and a small loop (Surgeons knot) on the other end.
Years ago I bought several of those long, round, green and white plastic hook holders, the ones with the notches on one end for the hook and the round slit rubber line holder on the other end. I haven't seen any in the stores in years but if I wanted one I would make it out of a piece of 1" pvc, slits on one end and a slit round rubber piece screwed to a pvc cap on the other end.
I keep these in a tube of 2" PVC pipe, capped on one end and a screw in plug in the other. One for 10# (Fishing over rocks or shell) and one for 20# for fishing over sand/soft bottom. When the flounder are biting I just remove the leader end from the snap swivel on the main line and they go into the cooler, w/ hook and leader. Just clip on another snelled rig to the Carolina rig snap swivel with the bead/weight, bait up, and you're back in the water quickly...No knot tying required.
But don't get me started.

Frank
Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Texas Rod Builders

pg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Pirate
Check out the zipper type worm/soft plastics bags at academy. Similar to a cd case, but has heavy ziploc bags inside that are ring bound kinda like a notebook. Some soft plastics companies are even hole punching their bags so they'll click right in. The leaders I use are a little bigger but these things end alot of mess and tangles for me......Jim
Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Catfish3 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I just roll mine up around two fingers and loop the swivel side within the loop a few times to hold the circle shap and then stick them in one of those pill containers you get when you get a large prescription order (about 1.5 inches diameter). I can usually fit quite a few in those that will last me from 1/4 to 1/2 a season depending on how many hang-ups i get.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Users-pm+

sofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Piratesofa king has been promoted to Pirate
Smile

wrap around two fingers to get it into a coil, then wrap it up in a peace of aluminum foil about the size of a baseball card, works good for me. Just don't through the foil in the water after unwrapping.

Package ends up being just a bit bigger than the hook you use.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Grand Master of Thread Kill

flatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirateflatsfats has been promoted to Pirate
i have one of these for my surf leaders and need to order one of the smaller ones for my mono leaders.

i don't know if it will work with those little spro swivels. you might try one of the velcro setups for those.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/leader-storage/