2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Browning High Power in a Police Holster

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Trouthunter 
#1 ·
So the other day I was sitting in a Houston Court room with another 50+other people. I was there fighting a traffic ticket I got a few months ago. Well not much you can do in these court rooms to pass the time so I entertained my boredom with a game of eye spy with myself. I was looking at name tags and checking out what kind of guns some of the police officers were carrying. I was watching the name tags in hope that the officer that gave me the ticket wouldn't come in so it would get dismissed and I was checking out what was in the holsters just cause I was interested. Well for those who was wondering I ended up getting my ticket dismissed.

ANYWAYS,

But back to the point of this thread. I noticed most of the cops carried Sigs, Berettas, Glocks, M&Ps, and a few revolvers...but then I noticed one Police Officer was carrying a Browning High Power. I know Britain's military has still been using the Browning High Power and recently has started changing to Glock 17's. So can some police carry what they want that isn't issued to them?

I'm 100% sure it was a Browning High Power. From the look of the hammer and the mag well and shape of the grip. It wasn't a 1911. I could tell from the NON single stack mag and shape of the gun. Kinda cool

See less See more
#4 ·
HPD doesn't issue firearms, Officers buy their own within dept. guidelines. Those guidelines were created 10+ yrs. ago to standardize the firearms carried and to make it cheaper on the city who provides the holsters. It's cheaper for them to order and provide holsters for 5 different pistols than for 25 different pistols. When those guidelines were created those of us that were already here were grandfathered in and they were allowed to continue carrying the pistol they were used to. You still see a few High-Powers, and 1911's but not many. Most Officers I see are carrying Glocks and Sig Sauers.

#7 ·
Hey Wolf6151 , did you know Sgt Fred Walschberger. He might have been at the academy then or at the southeast substation. He's a member of the same Airstream unit as myself. Not sure when he retired but it was a while back , maybe around '85 or so.

#9 ·
Love My BHP

That's a good observation. I tend to check out what officers are carrying too and see that most of them have evolved to polymer frames. Every now and then I see an older officer with revolver, but most are semi-autos.

If we had open carry, I'd have a bad-*** leather holster and would carry my Hi-power. I quit carrying it when I found out how much it had increased in value and saw that the blueing was being affected on the trigger guard by my Fobus holster. Also, got caught in the rain bow hunting and had to strip and lube it. Not as worried about my Glock in those cases. I bought mine in about 1982 in lieu of a Berretta and I'm glad I did. I use it to qualify for CHL and have had class high score every time, and that was with some rapid firing. It's that good, I'm not.

It makes sense that departments would want officers to carry what they're comfortable with, within reason. Don't need desk jockey's or a ***** mayor telling field people what they have to use. Stay safe out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.