2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

LED flounder gigging light

46K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  aggiefishinDr 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I have two of those lights and love them for shallow water floundering. I actually found mine on e-bay. They work awesome in shallow clear water, we carry our big lights when murky or working deep. For the ease of operation they are the best thing ever, unless you normally work deep or dirty water.

#10 ·
Up here on the upper coast we rarely get good clear water except in the winter time and we all know we can't find large numbers of flat fish in the shallows in late jan. early feb. I am wondering if anyone knows of the brightest hologen 500 watt bulb for work lights.

#12 ·
My buddy Jim makes 2000 lumen LED lights with a shoulder strap, on off switch, etc. It's some top quality stuff. That dude is hardcore about wade gigging. He probably walks 10-12 miles in water 2-3 times a week.

The cool thing about the ones he uses from fishinglights etc is they are more towards the blue end of the spectrum, and the closer you get to that end of the spectrum the more the light penetrates. Red end penetrates least, violet end penetrates most. Halogen is yellow which is towards the red end.

Check it out here

http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnection.com/forums/forum26/thread7480.html#post62259

His original design was made with halogen lights, and when he made the one with led's, him and a buddy went gigging and made this youtube video where you can see the halogen side by side an LED for comparison. The difference is striking

Here's a link to the video... it's called "taliban flatties" lol... he's stationed at hurlburt field
http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnection.com/forums/forum26/thread7592.html

#13 ·
I have one of the ones from Extreme, it works well in clear water. The light level is different and lower than the other 20 watt halogens I use. If You gig in parallel to someone with another kind of light, you cannot see much. Extreme's light is great for convenience, there are no external wires, just the pole and the light. (2- 9 volt batteries are in the handle.)

#14 ·
My son picked up 3 of Pauls lights last year. He said they worked well when he and a friend walked San Luis one night and tagged a few. I found some extra 3500mah batteries on ebay which are good for a longer walk, keeping the ones that came with pocketed. Biggest thing he noticed was the weight loss as we've been using some that I made 15 years ago out of PVC and pulling a washtub in a tube with a car battery and doughnet in tow. Haven't had a chance to do a side by side comparison yet and am curious how the white light does in comparison with the incandescent vnsp lamps we've had.

#18 ·
technology marches on. Lights above water are less efficient than lights under water. A certain percentage of light will reflect off, instead of penetrating the water and illuminating the fish.

Some of that light will bounce away from you, and some will come back right at you. So the more ripple, the more efficiency is lost.

And then their is the wavelength of the light... more towards the red end of the spectrum, less effective. Some led lights have a bluish tint which is towards the violet end of the spectrum, so it penetrates murk better.

Rickolitus, I agree with you about the lights from fishinglightsetc. I have some myself.

I would imagine a gas lantern would be towards the yellowish end of the spectrum. Halogen lights are also towards the yellowish end as well. My buddy banjovie made a really good comparison video of underwater halogen vs underwater LED.

Hit the play button
http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnection.com/forums/forum26/thread7592.html

The led lights are around 9200k color temperature and seem to really do a great job. Plus he can run them off a small battery instead of a car battery.

#22 ·
So I am inthe market for some new flounder lights. After reading these posts it seems that purchasing the lights from the above site and building your own is the way to go?? Is anyone selling the setups already built? I did see the website for pauls lights which looks pretty decent and they are already built for you. I dont mind building one myself but buying an already made light may be better for me right now.

It seems this post was started in 2008!!! Whats the concensus now for lights, LED still. Thanks for the help. I need some lights!!!!

#23 ·
Hey Aggie,

Do you want boat lights or wading lights?

John aka Nightgigger took me wading two years ago and showed me his rig. He wades and giggs all the time. used little fish pond 20-25 watt light from Harbor Freight and couple of pvc parts plus an old elect cord and uses deer feeder battery. His worked well. Deer feeder battery lasts long time.

If for your wife's boat then there were some posts last year at length on lights for your boat. Dipsay and others posted pxs and information on what they used for their boats last year.

Capt josh uses two above water 300watt quartz halogen lights.

I would be curious what works better? above the water or below the water flounder lights for a boat.

#24 ·
I am looking for wading lights to carry easily, not for the boat. I would really like to buy/make a rig that does not use such a large battery. It would be ideal to have a self contained unit that runs off small batteries instead of a larger battery you have to pull!!

I think I am going to try and make the setup from the the fishinglights website. They have a schematic that does not look that hard to build, but I could be wrong!!! Never was that good at wiring stuff!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.