Coyote control? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 12-05-2008, 08:09 AM

PalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to PiratePalmsUp has been promoted to Pirate
Coyote control?

We are ate up with coyotes! Morning and evening you can hear them yipyapping but never see them in the open. Never lost a calf to them but they must be hell on the deer population and you never see rabbits. They run the brazos river. Any suggestions on snare, trapping or other control methods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

wedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Yeah...Shoot all of them for starters. We have the same problem at our "deer lease" in San Diego. I have not seen a single deer, needless to say I won't be hunting there ever again. My dad is a sheep and goat-raiser and we have county trappers. They use a device that we called a getter. It is a .44 mag wrapped in some sort of meat and when triggered it blows up in their face. Don't know how it works but it does. One little tricky thing about these is they are filled with cyanide! You can't have your dogs running free with them out but they are at least marked.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered Users-pm+

o_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I'm not sure if the Gov. still has paid trappers but you might call your local Game Warden or County Agent to find out. The cyanide guns or poison baits are still used buy like weington posted you have to keep your dogs out... If you use snairs you have to remember they will catch anything that goes through it.. My brother and I used some snairs one year to help a ranch thin out his coyotes.. We took them up after we caught a doe in one..

Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Blue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedington View Post
Yeah...Shoot all of them for starters. We have the same problem at our "deer lease" in San Diego. I have not seen a single deer, needless to say I won't be hunting there ever again. My dad is a sheep and goat-raiser and we have county trappers. They use a device that we called a getter. It is a .44 mag wrapped in some sort of meat and when triggered it blows up in their face. Don't know how it works but it does. One little tricky thing about these is they are filled with cyanide! You can't have your dogs running free with them out but they are at least marked.
Good idea, but Palms said he couldnt see them thus making it hard for himself to shoot them.

NOW, im sure I will get a bunch of negative response from this on here but we had the same prob at our ranch. Coyotes werent necessarily killing the deer, that we noticed, but they were getting our calves, which we really care about. Coyotes are EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT! so we had to think outside of the box in thining out the population a bit. I've 'heard' of the following ideas. Putting fresh meat down in the river bottom with 'bear-claw' traps works, then they really start yip-yappin. Palms, you fish offshore, try taking some wire and attaching a 10/O offshore treble hook w/ bloody chicken and hang it from a tree just so its about 4ft off the ground. another way i've seen them baited is to lay the bait so that they basically line up then take a shot with a high caliber rifle to take more than one out.

the prob with trapping them, or any of the aforementioned methods is they become conditioned to the scenario and arent fooled very easily. Ive found that they are really attracted to squeeling rabbit/varmit calls. I personally think baiting them is only fun when they are a problem. Shooting them for sport is when we attempt to call them in. Also remember that if you plan on doing any of these methods, be patient...They are very skiddish and like to make sure they are 'safe'; sometimes taking the shot is a matter of seconds before they bolt. Your situation sucks and they do wreak havoc on deer/rabbit populations. I wish they liked coons and possums as much as they do calves.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 AM
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Attach a 10/0 hook to a wire leader on one of your 50W offshore rigs. Put a winnie or two on the hook and put out around camp...they are more curious than you think. Make sure you have a 12 pack for the night and hang on when you get a bite...it is a good idea to have a buddy ready with a spot light and a rifle for others when the yelping starts. Don't ask how I know this!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered Users-pm+

redduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirateredduck has been promoted to Pirate
call and shoot and trapping are the best methods.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Levelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to PirateLevelwind has been promoted to Pirate
I think cyanide guns are about the only thing that works - if you have a game proof fence snares may work. They are both indiscriminate killers - small children have been killed by cyanide guns (I'm not sure how), and snares, well they catch pretty much anything.

Shooting them is sporty, and if you have the room, running them with greyhounds is pretty wild, too. But I don't think either of these are really effective population control.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Lat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to Pirate
This is how I do it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
dedicated fire poker

Location: Used to be considered rural...now -they- are building all around.
Vee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to Pirate
Night vision goggles, full auto M16, supressior, and a IR laser. You can take out a whole crowd of those coyotes at a time and they don't know where to run. You might need a few tax stamps to gather the gear though.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Fish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to Pirate
Use this mixture. Be very carefull here because anything that eats this will die, except Pigs!!! If you have pets around I would not use this mixture.

Take and mix, then make into meat balls and spread them out. You can even take and freeze them for use later.

AGAIN THIS WILL KILL CATS DOGS BIRDS except Pigs. If you are in a area that has Eagles I would not put this out.

Another chemical is Temkin. sp? Tempkin though stays in the system of the dead and will kill anything that eats the dead as well, like buzzards. Be carefull

5 LBS HAMBERGER MEAT
3 LBS SALT PORK OR PORK JOWELS
2 LARGE CANS CAT FOOD(FISH OR CHICKEN)
2 LARGE CANS OF CHUM SALMON(CHEAP)
1 5LBS CAN GOLDEN MALRIN FLY BAIT