Gafftop vs. Hardhead - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM

carryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Piratecarryyourbooks has been promoted to Pirate
Gafftop vs. Hardhead

recently, there was a post regarding if gafftop were any good. most eat them as i do. some don't. if you go to florida, most fisherman there don't eat gafftop, but eat hardheads. what's the difference. i don't know because i have never eaten hardheads. do the fish taste different over there? just curious.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 PM

bill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Pirate
Gafftops are indeed game fish

By Chester Moore, Jr.

This week I received an email from a reader saying that they almost got a ticket for keeping under-sized gafftopsail catfish.
The problem was they like many people did not know that gafftops have a minimum size.
Others get small gafftops and hardheads confused but there are key differences in appearance. The main one is the gafftop has a large, unique sail like top fin whereas a hardhead basically looks like a freshwater cat.
More importantly, anglers can only keep gafftops measuring 14 inches or larger. Hardheads have no minimum size limit.
The reader had kept a couple of small gafftops and was checked by an understanding warden while fishing near Rockport.
They got away with a warning, but could have easily gotten a stiff fine. Lucky for the reader, the gafftops were alive enough to release without harm. Otherwise, I have a feeling the warden would not have been so lenient.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered Users-pm+

backlashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbacklashingcooger has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
A neighbor,from the North naturally,invited us over for fried fish one night....we found out later that we were served "hardhead"...truthfully, well seasoned,cornmealed,with a good spicy red sauce ,we didn't taste anything bad....sauce was great,the fish was a good "scooper"...not saying I am fishing for hardheads now,but they weren't bad.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Fun with Flags

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
hardheads taste like catfish. Nothing worng with them, just that there head plate takes up about half of there body. Per pound you get very little meat out of them.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered Users-pm+

71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate
My daughters friend cought a Gafftop today and we fried it up along with some Croaker (long story). The Croaker were very good and and there was a definite difference in taste but the Gafftop was not bad. One thing I noticed when cleaning the Gafftop was it seemed easier cuting the filet off the skin from the head end rather than how I typically start at the tail end? I was dissapointed on how little meat I got for the size fish it was.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM
WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!

coachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Pirate
I've fished in Fla. quite a bit, and I never met anyone who kept or ate hardheads. I've eaten hardhead just to say I tried it. I thought it was very oily and for lack of a better word, quite yucky. I'd eat it before I ate king mack though.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Just an old ?

Galveston Yankee has disabled reputation
When I still had a boat, Rainy and I would go out fishing specifically for gaff top. Love them.

Also know of snooty guides who won't let anyone bring a gaff top in their boat even to pull the hook. To me, that is a rip off since the gaff top is a game fish in the great state of Texas.

GY
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
and the occasional flounder

Specks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to PirateSpecks&Spots has been promoted to Pirate
Gafftops go better with a nice Chardonnay, while Hardheads are better paired with a beer.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Wayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to PirateWayner has been promoted to Pirate
I've eaten both and I like both of them. But, as long as I can catch enough flounder to meet my needs, I'll not keep either one. I'm with Coachlaw on the king mack though.
Wayner
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Tankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to Pirate
Im not hungry enough to eat either of them. I have heard that they eat mullet in Florida. I have also been told something about licking the belly of a hard head. Im not planning on doing it any time in the near or distant future but is there any truth to it.