2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

best deer processing around houston

28K views 49 replies 45 participants last post by  txbowman 
#1 ·
i have tried:

1. doziers - good but always get tough casings
2. doreck & sons - does ok, but nothing too exciting
3. aj's - decent
4. praseks - great job, but i like jalapeno & cheese susage and was not done as good as others (but it has been a few years since i used them) i like lots of cheese in the links.

I live in Pearland & do not mind a little bit of a drive, just like quality processing.
Mainly like: links, pan sausage, sticks and summer sausage.

Need recommendations for other places to try. this is for some axis meat. thanks

#9 · (Edited)
I have also used B&W, and was pleased with thier product and time frame. I have tried Vinceks, and they charge a ton, and from waht I saw they didn't even come close to giving back waht was dropped off and over paid for, never will use them. I have heard alot about Bellville, so that is where my next few does are going to go after the 1st of the year.

Oh yeah, I also tried Hilldebrandts near Tomball, and they were waaayyyy toooo smokey on thier sausage. I had several people tell me that it was so over smoked it wasn't edible. Everyone likes different things, but this was just plain gross. I gave it all away, and still had complaints. Hell when you defrosted the ground meat in the microwave, the packages were so smokey as well it stunk up the kitchen, and would leave that smell on your hands after touching the packages.

#11 ·
man C&C off 45 north has made some of the best cuts, and sausage i have ever had. i have a freezer full of elk meat they did. one of my friends has a friend who owns a processor and i let him try some of my sausage, he was telling me the jalapeno cheese was BY FAR the best he had ever had. (the friend is somewhere around bellville)

those guys at C&C have done my elk, and my antelope along with white tail, they make everything so tender and tasty i think i will go have some more right now.

#12 ·
I would like to suggest one place not to go!!! Hildebrandt in Tomball

Last year i took them two red stag bulls and one bull elk. I had the animals cut into steaks and made into ground meat and the usual with the backstap. Let me say that my neighbor went and shot a elk cow the year before and had to buy a deep freezer to store all the meat. So since i had took a bull elk i knew i would get the same amount of meat back as the neighbor or more right. So i bought me a deepfreezer. Well when i went to Hildebrandts to pick up my elk and my two buddies went to pick up there red stag we where all shocked. They told me that my (Bull Elk) only had 110 lbs of meat. One of the red stags was 107lbs of meat and the othere Red satg was 70 lbs of meat. Now i have processed lots of deer and it just wasnt adding up. So i tried to contact the owner for i would say at least four to five months went to his home that is next door to the meat market and he wouldnt answer the door to at least give me the common courtsy to explain nothing. I used to highly reccomend Hildebrandts but i wounldt tell my worst friend about the place. I think i am going to try Midway this year i have heard lots of good stories about them. I also am looking for a new meat processor if anyone knows a good one on the NW side of town. I might have put my foot in my mouth about saying this i really dont know what is 100% right or wrong to say on 2cool since i am kind of new. If i did wrong by making this reply then i am sorry and i wont make another reply like this one. But i have had the worst service and i lost a bunch of meat at Hildebradts. I would truly hate for someone that spends tons of money and time into harvesting an animal and get took on half of there meat its not right....

#14 ·
Subsea, that is what we all need to hear. No apologies. They really screwed you, I'm guesssing they sold your meat? And please stay away from Midway as well. I know it is convienient for the I-10 guys, and that thier jap and cheese sausage is supposed to be tasty, but there are a couple things you might not like about them. One is that you will not get YOUR deer. So all the work you do to feed your deer well and then bleed them after harvest so your meat is better is for not. You will get, supposedly the same amount of weight you brought in. But it could be some morons deer that ate scrub brush and was not taken care of fed well, ect.. That alone should keep anyone from going there. Next is the balls of plastic like stuff that they put in thier sausage. It looks like small plastic opaque BB's. It is some kind of filler, and is nasty! You can't break it with your teeth,lol. Other than those two things IMO they are great,lol.

Thier is a place off of 249 that everyone raves about, not Silver Seal, but further north? Guys I help with this one.
B&M off of Shepherd and 45 N. is a solid choice, and the Bellville meat market seems to have nothing but good results according to all the guys here, that is where my deer are heading this year. Also does that Pete's fine meats on Richmond still process deer? If so they have wonderful German sausage and summer sausage, I'm sure they might be a bit pricey though based on thier "inner loop" location. But everything I have had from there has been outstanding.

#17 ·
Man I am blessed that you guys understand me and let me speak this pieace of mind that has haunted me for the last year with Hildebradt. Like i said, you really feel helpless at the end of the day, with nothing to do about it. I at one time was going to place an add in the Tomball paper with the pics of all three animals and let them know what kind of business was being run. I wasnt sur how big of a legal issue it would have turned into. I plan to post the pics of all three deer in the next couple hours waiting on the wife to e-mail them. I promise guys once you see the size of the deer you will probably not ever think about taking a deer back to Hildebrant. And again thanks for letting me speak my mind here in this thread about this, it has taken a big burden off of my chest!!!!

Thanks again 2coolers

Subsea78

#18 ·
Ive been a loyal customer of Praseks since i shot my first deer when i was 8, been going there for over 15 years and have seen them grow from a shack to a 'must stop' along the way. Of course I have strayed now and again but just for convinience sake. Midway's jap and cheese is good but other than that, it's nothing to write home about. If I were to name a number 2 place I would have to say its reidfield meats in College Station. If you can get your meat to Praseks, you cant go wrong. Plus you get to walk out with some delicious Kolaches.

#19 ·
Pete's Fine Meat

Pete's Fine Meat on Richmond near chimney rock is the best I've found. Their fast ( a day or two), you definitely get your meat back and they take pride in the work. Their sausage rocks and they mix a little beef in the ground that makes it taste and cook better. Their a little more than midway and B&W, but it's worth it.

A buddy of mine dropped a deer off in October, just got ground meat, and Pete's called him for pickup before he got home from dropping it off. I love it.

#20 ·
SUBSEA,
(and anyone else) i would not take anything to midway, while i have heard thier product is pretty decent, i have had 3-4 friends tell me about the $$$$$. i just recently took a friend and let him kill a doe off my lease, he took the deer over to midway (he lives in katy) and the doe ended up yielding about 60 lbs of meat (mixed bag so to speak) they charged well over $200 for the processing. now i took a bull elk to c&c and got back over 300 lbs (more like 400 lbs) of meat for about $500. i took the 4 legs, and the neck, had it made in to jerky and ground meat mixed with beef (wife cant have pork) and it didnt cost me $50. midway while making good meat, is WAY over priced. this is just one more reason why C&C is the best place to go.

#21 ·
I know some folks have their own opinion on whether Midway gives you back your deer or not, but they claim on their website (in bold text) that you get your deer back.

I was curious and even asked them last year. They said that yes I will receive my deer, and even gave me a 15 minute tour of their facility. I spoke with the tall blonde lady. She didnt hesitate one second to give me a tour and I was quite impressed with their process and how things looked "behind the scenes".

I've been happy with midway in the past and will continue to use them.

#24 ·
Not to bash, but a buddy and I dropped two dear off at Petes Fine Meats last year and when we got a call with the price, we almost told them to keep the deer and sell it to someone else. After going back and forth with them they dropped the price $300. This is not my style to haggle with someone who is providing a service, but I hate it when someone tries to stick it to you. Then to top it off when we picked the meat up it was comprable to one deer. Jeez, thanks for the $300 concession, all you did was sell the other deer to someone else. Thanks in advance for the warning about Hildebrandts. It is a few miles from my house and I was considering giving them a chance next time.

BWE

#25 ·
Processing

Basis my experience:

I have used Midway - several years ago - and, when I asked, they said they process so many deer there is no way they can keep them separate. And, when I was short basis what I brought in, they had someone run back and pick up a few packages. They may have changed since, but I have not been back.

I have used Pete's. Liked the produce but it appeared that they farmed it out (at least the sausage casings had the name of another market) and it was very expensive.

I use Bellville or Doziers currently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.