Is there a decent scope for under $150.00?? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
HEAVYDUTYCHEVY
Registered Users-pm+

HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Is there a decent scope for under $150.00??

Im looking to rescope my Mini-14 .223 Ranch Rifle. I do not want to spend a whole lot on it (its not the most accurate rifle anyway). Do you have any suggestions on a budget 3-9 x 40???
HEAVYDUTYCHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
troutslayer
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change

troutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Pirate
Nikon has one advertised in the Academy paper 3x9x40 for $149.00....I dont own a Nikon scope but their b-noks are great
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
bountyhunter
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!

bountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Piratebountyhunter has been promoted to Pirate
There are a lot of scopes for under $150.00 that will work very nicely on a .223. It doesn't have the recoil shock the big calibers do, so even scopes made by BSA will work. I have a BSA 6-24X50 Mil Dot Target model on my 17HMR and so glad I got it. It is a great scope for that rifle. Would put it on my 300WSM, but I'm not worried about the low recoil of the 17HMR.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
HEAVYDUTYCHEVY
Registered Users-pm+

HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HEAVYDUTYCHEVY has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I like that Simmons Pro Hunter...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Johnboat
Say "when"

Johnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to Pirate
Ranch Rifle

1. How bout a used Leupold. They have a lifetime guarantee and there are always some available at gun shows. Since everybody is wanting huge objectives and matte finish, I notice that gloss finish 3.5 x 10 x 42 are very available.

2. On accuracy. You can send the trigger assembly to www.greatwestgunsmithing.com and for about 50 bucks they will take the trigger from the factory 5.5 lbs to a little over 3 lbs.
Johnboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
brownie
BROWNIE

brownie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Mini 14

I have owned Mini-14's for 30 years and the biggest problem about scope is the mounts. Most of the older models have to use a B-square scope mount. These will lossen up after a while. It is hard to keep the scope zeroed in. Are the newer models drilled and tapped? If not you would be better off getting a peep sightto replace the factory v-notch rear sight. Mini-14's aren't usually accurate for very long distances for most parts.
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
HEAVYDUTYCHEVY
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie
I have owned Mini-14's for 30 years and the biggest problem about scope is the mounts. Most of the older models have to use a B-square scope mount. These will lossen up after a while. It is hard to keep the scope zeroed in. Are the newer models drilled and tapped? If not you would be better off getting a peep sightto replace the factory v-notch rear sight. Mini-14's aren't usually accurate for very long distances for most parts.
Im gonna upgrade to higher quality scope rings, hopefully it will help out the problem you mention.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Kyle 1974
Registered Users-pm+

Kyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a BSA air rifle specific scope and haven't been tremendously impressed, but I also got screwed on the scope from a local gun dealer...I should have done my homework first.

I think a simmons might be a good bet, like some others have said here. I've had a simmons 3-10X44 on a .243 for 12 years or so, and it's been a good scope, especially for the price, which was around $135.
Kyle 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
warcat
Registered Users-pm+

warcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Piratewarcat has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a Bushnell cheapo scope (3x9) at Academy and mounted it to my Marlin 30/30 (which has some kick). It has been accurate (I haven't had to re-tighten and the crosshairs haven't moved around). The scope costs a whopping $28.
warcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
When I am looking for something like that I usually check SWFA's Sample List. I picked up a decent scope for my daughter there. Be sure to shop around, because some people say they can buy new for less than the Sample List price. That has not been my experience, but I have not tried all of the retailers. There is another post down the board about looking for a specific Leupold. Many retailers are mentioned including The Optic Zone and Bear Basin. I have never purchased from them but they seem to enjoy a good reputation. If you are careful there is always eBay.
Charles Helm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message