curing mesquite - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM

corpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Piratecorpus shorty has been promoted to Pirate
Cool curing mesquite

don't you cut limbs into the smallest peace you can,soak it in water for a few days then let it dry out ?

thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
senor member

activescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirate
I like to use mesquite that is still semi green. Seems to have a better flavor and doesn't burn up so fast. In the smoker I use big pieces.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Users-pm+

ifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerifish2 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I get it cured for at least a year for small pieces, and even longer for large ones. I've never heard to soak it first.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Users-pm+

br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)br1006 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I usually get branches etc... we have knocked off or trees we doze over at the ranch about a year or so after they are dead and dried. the best wood to me is old mesquite fence posts that are rock hard! That "heart" wood as we refer to it will burn forever and stays hot. I have a huge stack from some old pens that were torn down and we cut it up into chunks for cookin with,
Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Jacka$$ Moment

Dookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to PirateDookie Ray has been promoted to Pirate
I used to know a fellow from Kingsville that told me that you don't have to cut and haul all that wood with you at all. All you need to do is get you big coffee cans full of the mesquite beans. He said get the fire going good and hot with another wood, and then just toss in a handfull of the beans every now and then. The green ones last longer in the fire and put out the same flavor in the meat. Never tried it, but seemed to make sense to me.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
not a fan of bark on anything, so stay away from small diameter pieces.

use the biggest dried pieces possible, split and dry stack off the ground.

that goes for oak, hickory, and pecan too.

when the ends are dry cracked it is usually good to go.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Fisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to PirateFisher Lou has been promoted to Pirate
For me, the best cure is to talk to the ones that use it the most. The locals that cook with it everyday can tell you what to do. I like to use only the coals. never the smoke. Try that with trout filets, real butter and Tony's. Simple yet very very good!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered Users-pm+

RubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to PirateRubenZamora has been promoted to Pirate
I've never heard of Curing wood. Like one poster said above. Every year a bunch of Mesquites fall down or what not and we just get the tractor and drag the entire tree to a location we have. Then after a year or more we just cut them down.

And yes, dried out old mesquite fence post are awesome!! and yes they burn hot.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Registered Users-pm+

El Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to Pirate
Some of the best bar-b-queing wood is mesquite (and believe it or not) huisache wood that seems like it almost almost petrified. It burns long and hot. And as far as huisache, when it is aged, cut and burning, you cannot tell the difference in the way it looks, burns or smells.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

HEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHEADSHAKER has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I never cover mesquite to sooty,open flame or coals work great.