Bleeding out deer? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Users-pm+

ber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirateber72 has been promoted to Pirate
Bleeding out deer?

I was just wondering how long do you bleed out a deer in a ice chest? Last year I kept ice on it (drained water once a day) for 4 days. Is that long enough or should I not soak it at all?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Users-pm+

wil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Piratewil.k has been promoted to Pirate
3 or 4 days is fine,I've heard of people keeping a deer on ice for a week or more. 4 days is plenty,I always drain it 2 or 3 time a day and keep adding ice
Old 10-07-2006, 01:09 PM

Capt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to PirateCapt. Robert Liebert has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4 Argee

I have to agree. I judge it like this once your drain water is pretty clear it good enough. I usually do 3.

Redfish Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil.k
3 or 4 days is fine,I've heard of people keeping a deer on ice for a week or more. 4 days is plenty,I always drain it 2 or 3 time a day and keep adding ice
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
7 days, done as much as 8 but no less than 6.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Users-pm+

OUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to PirateOUTLAW has been promoted to Pirate
I do 3-5 depending on when I have time to work with it. Be very careful to make sure the blood drains, I even wash more water over the top and let it help wash it out a little. I had a deer I didn't do that to and it wasn't draining all the way and spoiled the whole deer, even with plenty of ice on it. I felt bad about it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Users-pm+

DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)DeerTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Soak the meat? What are y'all talkin about? I've never soaked my venison in water (or anything) and it's always delicious. Kill, dress, skin, rinse, hang in cooler for 3-5 days, process & freeze.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:48 PM
senor member

activescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirate
I agree with Scott. I think it is unnecessary. Think about this, if red meat needed to be soaked in water to get the blood out wouldn't the professional butchers apply this technique to all red meat? When I have accidently gotten water on venison in the past it turns it gray, not appealing to me.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Funk SHOAL Brutha

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Exactly... don't wet your meat!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Rattle snake AL

asolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirate
I don't have a walk in cooler. However I have an ice chest. I break the deer down and put it in plastic bags.I put a layer of ice in the bottom of the ice chest, layer in the meat and then put a layer of ice on top of the meat. Open the drain on the ice chest and head home. Once home I take the meat and unbag it and put it in the refigerator at near freezing temp. I process the meat a little at a time and I make sure that it is all done within seven days of the kill.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I might want to kick a pig!

2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie2x Drop Tine has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I've never put water on my venison except to rinse. To keep cool, butcher down to sizes you can bag and then ice but not directly on the meat.