2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Black Matrix Fly Rod

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Skiff 
#1 ·
My buddy put me up to the task of building my first fly rod. It's definitely more work than throwing together a trout rod, but I enjoyed it. I made the decals on my PearlLabel 270 printer. A big thanks to Jim for suggesting to place them directly on the gloss blanks. It worked!

4PC 9' Matrix AMF908-4-B
Stainless AT Guides

See less See more
#4 ·
That is a very nice looking fly rod build :cool:.

Question in regards to the guides used. What size strippers and how many with inserts were used?

Also the use of the snake guides on the upper end VS the smaller conventional guides now available, manly for weight reduction?

Awesome build. One day I may try to build a fly rod, but will maybe try a 2 piece rod :rotfl:.

#9 ·
Beautiful work Skiff! Love that blank! To Whip, for the spine, do each section individually - the butt end is almost impossible as there is very little flex. The rod blank sections fit together properly, just need to do a ferrule wrap on the top three sections. No real need to mark the ferrules, the guides do that when you assemble it.

#10 ·
Thanks again for the remarks! I've really worked to improve and this forum has surely helped. He will pick it up in a few weeks. I'm hoping we will have time to run to the marsh for testing. I don't own a fly reel. Yet😎

I picked up that redfish silhouette on etsy. They have several gamefish and others you can import into the printer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.