2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Boomvang distance & mooring

11K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kenner21 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how far Boomvang is out of Galveston and Freeport? Also, If there are mooring buoys is it okay to use them? Thanks, Bigfish

#5 ·
I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to pull the boat to Freeport from Kemah. I have a 26' Glacier Bay twin 140 Suzukis. I average 1.7 mpg and have 240 galllon capacity. Is there a place to hook onto the rig, I saw a post where everyone slept and drifted but I don't think I want to do that. How far is it from Boomvang to Nansen? Thanks for the info, Bigfish

#7 ·
Floaters

Like I said there is a buoy inshore from BV about 40 miles you could motor to. Or you could share the buoy and rope at Nancen if there is no supply boat on it. No place to hook onto the rig unless you have a rig hook that can wrap around 20' diameter pilings.

JWJBigfish said:
I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to pull the boat to Freeport from Kemah. I have a 26' Glacier Bay twin 140 Suzukis. I average 1.7 mpg and have 240 galllon capacity. Is there a place to hook onto the rig, I saw a post where everyone slept and drifted but I don't think I want to do that. How far is it from Boomvang to Nansen? Thanks for the info, Bigfish

#10 ·
We just drift at night if we all get tired. You leave your lights, radar and vhf on. Unless there is an extremly strong current you wont drift more then a 5-10 miles in a 5 hour sleep. Normally we drift 3-5 miles while drifting for 5 hours. Check radar and see if anything is coming up before you sleep. Keep your VHf on as loud as it gets to wake you up if theres and emergency move.

#12 ·
Nansen

JWJBigfish said:
It's about 6 nm miles from Boomvang to Nansen.

We have had better luck fishing for Tuna there at night. For some reason the bite turn's on after the sun goes down. We would catch Blackfin and chunk them along with cut Pogies. This has worked well for us.

BTW There are 2 rigs about 30 nm miles back inbound you can tie off to.
The Sunrise rig is in about 380 ' + / - of water. We have had some great day's there as it holds a variety of good fish.

And for God's sake : PLEASE BE CAREFULL AT NIGHT AROUND THAT BUOY ROPE!!!

BE SMART !

BE SAFE !!

LET'S GO FISHING !!!

MB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.