Generator Purchase - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB

Notices

Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
stew1tx
Keep on Keeping on....

stew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterstew1tx has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Kind of like everything else, buy as big as you can afford, you will have all you can use, but you don't have to use all you have.
stew1tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
Gabe Boudreau
GabeBoudreau.com

Location: California, Arizona, Texas, Idaho, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Miami
Gabe Boudreau is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinChick
What size generator should be purchased to use as back up power following damage by a serious storm? This is for home use. Basically to power fans and the frig/freezer in addition to some minimal lighting.

Also, are any converters required to run these appliances or do they come with one?

Thanks folks,

FC
FC - I work at Sears in the Lawn and Garden department...we sell the generators in this department. Right now, I know Sears closed out all the Generators here on the West coast but the 5600 watt version. Here is a link for more information.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=07132560000

This is the only generator that will be avalible untill next year through Sears. If you are lucky they will still have one at a local sears in your area! If not, try to rent one from a Home Depot...that would be your next bet.

Regards,
Gabe
Gabe Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 03:53 AM   #13
CaptDoug
Tight Lines, CaptDoug

CaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to PirateCaptDoug has been promoted to Pirate
Cloud

Anyone know where to get one? I looked today (well yesterday, it's to darn early) at Home Depot, Lowes and Sears and all said none of the stores in the Houston area have any left. Guess I'll be eating a lot of fish if electricity goes out!
CaptDoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
I've found it's easier than explaining load calculations to people, to just buy a 12 gauge extension cord that's long enough to go from the genset to the kitchen, this is to plug the frig in. Then get a 14 gauge extension cord and replace the female end (cord cap) with another male end.

When the power goes out, turn ALL the breakers in the panel off, this is important! Run the frig first to make sure it stays cold, plug in the male to male cord into a receptacle in the room you want to power up, then come back and plug into the cord (12 gauge) that the frig was plugged into.

It'll power up the entire circuit! Make sure you unplug from the 12 gauge cord before relocating the other end of the male to male cord to another circuit as the male to male will be energized if knot!

I have a 3500 watt Dayton brand that'll run my frig and everything in the den, lights, TV, DVD/VCR and ceiling fans at the same time!
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #15
Bigwater
http://www.profishingresearch.co m

Bigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to Pirate
Dam good way to do it Harbormaster! just be reel careful with that ( what we call) suicide cord.

Biggie
Bigwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #16
MT Stringer
Charter Member

MT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to PirateMT Stringer has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I've got a generator in the garage that needs the carb rebuilt. Kinda kicking myself now for not doing that 6 months ago.
Yep, me too.
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #17
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer
Yep, me too.
Mike
That's the main problem with a portable genset! If you dont run them often, they wont be there when you need them! Most people buy them just in case, and they sit in the corner while the carb gums up and the seals deteriorate! They're knot unlike a bote, it's better to run them than let them sit!

If you buy one, plan on running it at least once a month, and place a load on it!

Thanks Biggy
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #18
waterspout
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!

waterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Pirate
harbor get over here and hook up my gen to my breaker box. I want central air if the storm hits! I need my Mikita 6100r hooked up to the breaker box and your slacking dude. what time you going to be here?
waterspout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #19
jeffscout
Hoping to keep some spare change

jeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Piratejeffscout has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a 3000 watt Coleman at Home Depot in Rosenburg yesterday afternoon. They had about 3 left. Lowes in Rosenburg was completely out. Another item that is hard to find is gas cans. Those gensets run through some gas, and you should probably have 20-25 gallons on hand to fuel the thing for a couple days.
jeffscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #20
Super Dave
Superlative One

Super Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to PirateSuper Dave has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster
I've found it's easier than explaining load calculations to people, to just buy a 12 gauge extension cord that's long enough to go from the genset to the kitchen, this is to plug the frig in. Then get a 14 gauge extension cord and replace the female end (cord cap) with another male end.

When the power goes out, turn ALL the breakers in the panel off, this is important! Run the frig first to make sure it stays cold, plug in the male to male cord into a receptacle in the room you want to power up, then come back and plug into the cord (12 gauge) that the frig was plugged into.

It'll power up the entire circuit! Make sure you unplug from the 12 gauge cord before relocating the other end of the male to male cord to another circuit as the male to male will be energized if knot!

I have a 3500 watt Dayton brand that'll run my frig and everything in the den, lights, TV, DVD/VCR and ceiling fans at the same time!
If I get an extension cord long enough to run from your house to mine, can I run my fridge too?
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message