2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Trout Patties (bettter than crabcakes!)

59K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  EIGHTSKATE 
#1 ·
Hello! I thought you guys might like to try these! We use trout or hybrid-striped bass. Probably could use any fish you catch!

Best Ever Trout Patties
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp salt (or less if you use a salty- cajun seasoning)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
*1 good-sized trout (no idea how much to tell ya, I just
cook what they bring me) *baked, deboned, and flaked
1 Tb flour
1 cup water (dash of hotsauce added)
20 Club crackers (the Keebler "Club" crackers are key, here)
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 Tb Emeril's rustic rub or other cajun seasoning
1/4 cup veggie oil

- Chop all veggies tiny
- Heat butter in skillet over med-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, salt, and cayenne. Cook 7-8 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add the trout and mix all together.
-Dissolve flour into water and hotsauce. Stir into skillet. Stir for ~4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and cool.
- Crumble crackers and add to cooled mixture. Form into patties (add more cracker crumbs if too "wet" to form into patties)
- To the breadcrumbs, add the rustic rub or other seasoning. Coat the patties with this.
- Heat oil in skillet. Pan-fry patties ~3 minutes on each side or until browned. (we like ours pretty dang brown and "crunchy" on the outside)
- Let patties sit on paper towel to drain.
These are great for several days. Make them hotter with more hotsauce and seasoning. SOOOO good!

Hope you enjoy this. Nice to meet you guys!
http://www.stubbysteve.com (we'd love for you to check out our fishing lure!)

See less See more
#5 ·
I second the kingfish for this.. we boil it too, and i love to add ****/shrimp boil in with the kingfish while boiling.. adds another good flavor.. way to go.. love this recipe for kingfish as well.. i made about 30 one evening and cooked outside on my electric skillet... they did a trick and dissappeared..

#11 ·
Made this recipe last night. It turned out really good. I followed the recipe exactly, and the only thing I'll change next time is to add a little more seasoning, and maybe a couple of minced up Japs. That would be a personal thing for my tastes.

It would be perfect for those that don't like food too spicy, or if your cooking for kiddos.

Very good, and easy to make.

#27 ·
Just cooked some and they were great! I used a little less than a quart bag of crappie. I also added some jalapeño and garlic.

A few issues I had problems with,

I didn't add enough cracker crumbs the first batch and they fell apart in the grease. I added way more the what the recipe called for. Mine may have been too wet from the get go for some reason.

I had the heat up too hot in the beginning and almost burnt the oil.

#29 ·
Just cooked some and they were great! I used a little less than a quart bag of crappie. I also added some jalapeño and garlic.

A few issues I had problems with,

I didn't add enough cracker crumbs the first batch and they fell apart in the grease. I added way more the what the recipe called for. Mine may have been too wet from the get go for some reason.

I had the heat up too hot in the beginning and almost burnt the oil.
Lol..yer a mess J. Let the lil' lady do it next time. And I can't believe you did that to sac-a-lait:eek:

©

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.