2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

best deer processing around houston

28K views 49 replies 45 participants last post by  txbowman 
#1 ·
i have tried:

1. doziers - good but always get tough casings
2. doreck & sons - does ok, but nothing too exciting
3. aj's - decent
4. praseks - great job, but i like jalapeno & cheese susage and was not done as good as others (but it has been a few years since i used them) i like lots of cheese in the links.

I live in Pearland & do not mind a little bit of a drive, just like quality processing.
Mainly like: links, pan sausage, sticks and summer sausage.

Need recommendations for other places to try. this is for some axis meat. thanks

#28 ·
I can't believe no has mentioned Eckerman's. I had a customer recommend this place five years ago & have used them ever since. Everyone Ive sent to the has been completely satified. The first time I brought 8 quarters of 2 deer & had summer sausage, smoke sausage, chili meat, & pan sausage. My bill was barely
over a hundred dollars. Last year we had all sausage made & my bill was $165.00.

Their address in New Ulm but the they are just past Industry off of 159, about 15 miles past Bellville.

Try them they are fantastic...

#29 ·
I've used Slovacek's in Snook for the past few years and swore them off after last years poor quality. This year I took a doe to Green's in Zabcikville (Just East of Temple). I got smoked link sausage with extra garlic and extra mustard seed. It's some of the best I've had. I'm quite certain that the deer I took in is the deer I got back. The only thing that suprised me was the packaging of the sausage in freezer paper. I thought it was pretty standard issue these days to do vaccum pack. Great sausage though. Wife and kids like it too and that says a lot.

#31 ·
I have heard good things about them too... just never tried them.

grand poobah said:
I can't believe no has mentioned Eckerman's. I had a customer recommend this place five years ago & have used them ever since. Everyone Ive sent to the has been completely satified. The first time I brought 8 quarters of 2 deer & had summer sausage, smoke sausage, chili meat, & pan sausage. My bill was barely
over a hundred dollars. Last year we had all sausage made & my bill was $165.00.

Their address in New Ulm but the they are just past Industry off of 159, about 15 miles past Bellville.

I've heard good things about that place too.. just never tried it.

Try them they are fantastic...

#32 ·
Cutter said:
I know some folks have their own opinion on whether Midway gives you back your deer or not, but they claim on their website (in bold text) that you get your deer back.

I was curious and even asked them last year. They said that yes I will receive my deer, and even gave me a 15 minute tour of their facility. I spoke with the tall blonde lady. She didnt hesitate one second to give me a tour and I was quite impressed with their process and how things looked "behind the scenes".

I've been happy with midway in the past and will continue to use them.
Maybe they have changed. I know that throughout the 1980's you did not get your meat back. That's a fact.

#34 · (Edited)
My $.015

You can solve all the over, yeah right!/shortage probs by boneing out your meat. Once it is quartered...another 30 min will yield pure meat. This year after a 15 1/2 hour all night, straight drive thru from Georgia...with 3, 15 min stops for fuel and coffee...Midway was immediate choice as I live in Katy! LOL We weighed the meat in, got back the right weight of meat (plus added pork weight) and was quite impressed with their hot smoked links. Summer sausage...good. I kept backstrap and a roast..that I butchered, straight to my freezer. Ground meat was, well, ground meat.

Boneing out is similar to, but isn't quite the same as brain surgury, and doesn't have to look pretty for sausage! Plus you control how much sinew and cartilidge goes into it. Plus a lot less ice and igloo space involved!

Next deer roll up your sleeves and dive in....you wouldn't be skeert of doing a rabbit, would you? Deer are just like big rabbits!!

Just a suggestion..

Later
R3F

#37 ·
Bellville Meat Market

Bellville Meat Market
1. Sausage is AWESOME.

2. You get your deer back.

3. They give you a an estimate when you drop your deer off, that way you do not get a surprise when you pick it up.

4. Place is very clean.

5. Employees are very polite.

6. The other sausages they sell are also very good.

TIP: Take your deer after the season to make sure the processor is not swamped with work. That way they will do a better job. (not sure if true but, that is what my father taught me).

RUFF

#41 ·
Another processor that I use that actually pretty good and I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone mention is Jackson's Processing out in Crosby. I saw the owner had a booth out at the Houston Hunting show and is known around Texas as a very good processor. Real nice people that have been around for along time. They also make sure that you get YOUR meat back and the Sausage is awesome.

#44 ·
J&M Sausage out in Tomball, by Hooks Airport. Good stuff, fair pricing. Just picked up 160lbs of sausage today from them, along with pan, ground and some jerky.

I gues Midway has changed their policy. I quit using them a couple years ago when I pulled in behind a tahoe pulling a small metal UHaul trailer. It's was 85 degrees outside and I watched them pull 11 deer carcasses out of that trailer with no ice or anything. they were only gutted. who knows how long they'd been in that trailer in that heat. and when i was told i wasn't guaranteed my meat back i put the cooler back in the truck and haven't been back.

#45 ·
Vinceks in East Bernard. We have been going there for over 18 years. They are expensive but make a great product. I know a few folks feel like they have been shortchanged on their meat but for us (and we have easily dropped off close to 100 deer) we have never felt like we were not getting our meat back. We have a list of people that ask us for their jalapeno and cheese summer sausage each year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.