2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Push Nets

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  tj-atwood 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the legality of push nets for shrimp in Texas? Has anyone used them/are they were the effort?

#3 ·
Is this the same thing as a "roller seine"? I wrote an e-mail to TP&W a while back & got no decent response. I described it and all but the guy that responded either a) was clueless or b) had never seen or heard what I was talking about.

What I'm talking about is minnow seine netting mounted on a square / rectangular frame. On the bottom is mounted a closet roller or large dowel. As the seine is pushed along, the roller spins and knocks down any grasses. All the bait jumps up into the oncoming net.

As a kid, I took a course at the museum of natural science. We took a field trip to SLP and the biologist used one. We caught loads of shrimp, crabs, piggys, mullet, etc... even a couple small flounder.

chicapesca,
Can you provide a link for your info?

#7 ·
iwant2fish said:
like using a old window screen with frame?
No... the one I've seen was built out of 2"x2" stock. (now, this was going on 30 years ago) The frame was roughly 4'x4' with another 1' or so extended back. So there's a square, an extension along one edge and a cross piece to join those two ends. On the opposite end there was a closet roller mounted on pins that allowed it to roll. On the frame was mounted minnow seine material but it was hung in such a manner as to bow in about 8"-12" when brought up horizontal. That way the flipping - flopping catch doesn't jump right out.

It's simplicity is it's charm… besides, it works like a champ. I'd rather use one than a minnow seine any day. I could also see one made out of PVC. It would probably be easier on the hands too.

#8 ·
Van said:
Can you provide a link for your info?
from page 32 of the outdoor annual:

Seine:​
(Includes a push net.) A section of non-metallic mesh webbing, with the top edge buoyed upwards

by a floatline and the bottom edge weighted.
• May be used to take​
NONGAME fish and shrimp only.

• May not be longer than 20 feet.
• May not have mesh exceeding 1/2-inch square.
• Must be manually operated.
• In​
SALT WATER, nongame fish may be taken by seine for bait purposes only.
And then there are the specific regulations for shrimp to consider which begin on page 44:

#9 ·
I used one as a kid. We worked up and down Laguna Shores on our way out to fish. Worked great. 10 minutes and we'd have 3 or 4 doezen shrimp, some mud minnows and sometimes who-knows-what in there. Seems like a good idea. let me see if I can find some plans for one.

#11 ·
we got our already made as a kid....I would guess you could make it out of seine netting. I emailed a guy who works in a fishery and they use them for getting single person samples. Hopefully he'll email me some plans and materials. I have an Idea for putting skids on the bottoms on hinges so they don't dig into the mud. You could, if you were REALLY REALLY fast, catch some small rays in them. I've caught some silver dollar sized flounder in them when working for shrimp.

#14 ·
Sounds like a one man seine to me. That'd be perfect! I never have anyone strong enough with me to man the other end of a seine. Wonder if you could put a bit of styrofoam on the top bar and let it slide up and down with the waves? When you pull it up the front would close off so your bait dont escape. Gonna build one...what the hey! pics later.
ndoghouse

#15 ·
Hey ..My first post/ reply! Hello everyone. Im the guy you might have seen on PINS with the big green parachute full of holes and green f100 truck. Have been camping and fishing there with the dogs forever. Was there last 4-july weekend.
Later
ndoghouse
What?? no hardhead icon!

#16 ·
The net I had as a kid had the floats just like a seine on the top and weights on the bottom. The only difference that I would do, is make some skids to slide along the bottom. the problem we had at times was it would dig into the mud. We'd skim some grass beds along the Laguna Madre and we'd have shrimp most of times in minutes. Only problems occured when it got too hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.