2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How to get a title to a boat that doesnt have one

18K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Redstalker 
#1 ·
Pretty much the title sums it up. how to get a title to a boat that doesnt have one? Any input is appreciated.

#2 ·
boat title

Has it ever been titled? if so, was it here in Texas? If you don't have the registration numbers on the hull, look for the hull ID. It is usually stamped on the transom on the starboard side. Contact Tx Parks and Wildlife and give them that id number and they can research. If it was titled in Texas before, they will be able to tell who the last owner was. you can contact that person and ask them if they have a title on hand. If that person does not, then he will have to apply for a duplicate and then the title will be able to be transferred. It will take a little time and sometimes it will lead to dead ends so whatever it is you may be looking at buying, wait until you are sure you can title it.

#6 ·
A guy here at work went through the same deal. He could not find anyone to sign the title over, and ended up with a bonded title. He had to purchase a bond to insure the boat and I believe that is refunded after a couple of years.

#10 ·
I've found the best way to handle this is to have the previous title holder sign a TPWD affadavit and I pay for the notary fee and for their time. That way you can file for a lost title or do a transfer without involving the former boat owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.